30 June 2008

The nomad's office

Day one of being a freelance writer and I have been commissioned to write an entire website for a fabulous furniture manufacturer. Tomorrow I am working for one of HK's weekly magazines all day and then, because I am the boss of me now, on Wednesday I am taking my office to... Tokyo!

Krusty has a business meeting there, so we thought we'd take advantage of the accommodation to have ourselves a little weekend break. There'll be lots of strolls down memory lane for me no doubt, but in an unbelievable twist of fate, our hotel is in the one area that I hadn't really explored last time I was there.

Basically, most of the areas in central Tokyo are covered by a circular train line called the Yamanote. There are 29 stops on the circle, and in my last month of living there, I decided to visit one station a day and discover the city I was leaving (having failed to be more adventurous for the year I lived there...). Thing is, I only managed to cover 28 of the 29 stations. And the one I didn't get around to seeing, Shimbashi, is exactly where we are staying! The circle will be completed at last, and in the company of Krusty. How perfect.

I have found the little descriptions I made of each station I visited, and they are quite cute, so at some point I think I will put them online on another blog or something. Sometimes blogging can be a bore, but when you find what you wrote four years ago, it can be really entertaining...

Looks like I am going to become a Gitane again. See you in the Land of the Rising Sun. Sugoi Ne?!

3 comments:

Stan Diers said...

Well done, how did you get your name out as a freelancer fast like that?
Any tips to share? (if you have time of course =)

The rat and the monkey said...

I have found begging works quite well... Might just be a HK thing though!

Michael said...

Gonna see Nick while you're there? Say hello for me.