21 June 2008

And now Krusty's (much less factual) version of events

We watched the Hulk today - and for those who haven't seen the movie the basic premise is that as Dr Banner's heart rate notches up over 200 beats per minute he transforms into a large green angry monster. While I watched the film I had one of those art reflects reality moments. My girlfriend is a "little sensitive" when it comes to background noise. (As I'm writing this article she has just commented - "Krusty - you don't have to type so violently do you?"). If I so much as quietly nibble some crisps or (horror of horrors) enjoy a mouthful of roasted peanuts then I can expect to incur her wrath. Anyway - back to the movie. To the front of us an innocent bystander had commenced popcorn rustling, soon to be joined in stereo by the shadowy figure 6 seats away to the left of us. I noticed the hairs on my girlfriend's arms stand on end, and a distinct tension in the air. (I was expecting at this point the cinema rats to come scuttling pass - animals have a sixth sense of impending disaster - but the IFC cinema staff are fastidious cleaners so I was disappointed on that front).

At this point I noticed immediately behind us the sound of a large crisp packet opening, and as the cinema Dolby Surround of rustling reached its crescendo the Hulk made its impressive appearance.

The reader may be imagining the scene of cinema-goers ripped limb from limb, litre cups of coke hurled at force and the screams and terror of people fleeing the theatre - but I will draw a veil over the next 5 minutes of action. All I will say is - if the amplification of my girlfriend's behaviour was proportional to her perceived amplification of the sounds around her, then what you have imagined is EXACTLY what took place.

No comments: