20 November 2009

Krusty Does-It-Himself

Now that we have decided to stay in our current flat, Krusty declared that we need a dishwasher, because doing the dishes made him very unhappy. He's only really ever done the dishes once or twice (and don't we remember about those times...) but who am I to say no?!

Of course getting said dishwasher entailed plumbing it in, and although I wanted to get a contractor to help, Krusty insisted on doing it himself. He actually seemed quite excited by the whole thing, and I think he saw it as a way of asserting his masculinity a bit and proving that even if I do have his balls in a box (as he likes to say), he is more than capable of claiming them back from me.

And so he got some pipe and a saw, and got down to work with a lot of "I know what I'm doing"s. Those transformed after a while into some not so reassuring groans, followed by "Ah, I know what the problem is". There is a problem? No, no, no; saw, saw, saw.

"Oh no, that was a mistake" came the follow-up. I was determined to stay zen. "Maybe the sink will be out of order for a while..." Oh really?

Ensued a series of "I just need to glue it" and "Oh what if I melt it?" swiftly joined by "it's that Cantonese man in the shop's fault" and "there's nothing on the market that fits".

Followed by dinner. By this point, I was actually rather enjoying the show. I have a bit of a cold at the moment, so I didn't have much energy for anything apart from watching Krusty at work, and remembering why I and some of our friends call him MacGyver.

"I'm working out some solutions" he said after dinner. "I'm just going to recreate everything". And so he did. Armed with some gasket, bbq gloves and a chicken madras, Krusty solved all of our problems, and sent me back down memory lane to London, when I woke up to find him doing some major drilling work in his dressing gown.

And then I had one of the those moments where you realise that you are witnessing a future memory. A life with Krusty is full of those moments. And no DIY job is small enough not to be entertaining...

1 comment:

Nupur said...

but what we really want to know is did he use tinfoil????