01 July 2010

Scorchio

Continuing with my categorisation of unfriendly baby places, the latest culprit on the list is: the ENTIRE city of HONG KONG (at least in the summer).

The last two weeks (more or less) have seen me stay at home because of the torrential monsoon rain, and the last two days have been scorchio. Of course I couldn't resist leaving the flat at the first glimpse of blue skies, but the unbearable heat – coupled with Hong Kong's uneven, steep streets and endless staircases that make life with a pushchair impossible – saw me crumple into a pile of sweaty milk-stained clothes on Wednesday, leaving me just a shell of my normally composed and rock solid self.

In fact I got so desperate and panicky (and guilty that my child was drenched in sweat) that I did the unthinkable and... called Krusty to come and rescue me. Ever the knight in dull grey suit, he swiftly arrived in his red Toyota chariot to save me from myself, and soon I was under the air-conditioning, swearing that I'd never set foot outside again.

Of course today we couldn't resist repeating the whole affair, taking advantage of the handover holiday to visit Hong Kong park's Aviary, an entertaining landmark that would have been on the baby-friendly list had the sun piercing through the giant netting not created a burn hazard at every turn for poor bambino.

And so my quest for the perfect baby location in Hong Kong continues. And I don't mean one of those playgroups where everything is bright plastics and crinkly cubes. I want both of us to be able to enjoy this city together...

No comments: