09 February 2010

Head in the clouds

Due to a lack of interesting activity in Hong Kong, today's report comes to you from Shanghai, from where my brother (the water dog) sent this INCREDIBLE picture:


Taken from the 87th floor of a hotel near Shanghai's current tallest building, it makes me feel like I am looking at the future that I imagined when I was 10 years old. Finally we have all started living in the clouds. Or is that pollution?

Shanghai is China's most populous city, and I remember being engulfed in yellowish mist for most of the time I spent there – at least this proves that there was in fact a blue sky hidden in the clouds, you just need to rise high enough above them.

And at least Shanghai has a sense of humour about it – its Bureau of Environment Statistics has started measuring air pollution by comparing a walk in the city to its equivalent in cigarettes. Apparently the day this picture was taken, a ten-minute walk in Shanghai was equivalent to smoking a packet of Silk Cut, as opposed to the previous week's level of Marlboro Lights...

No comments: