24 November 2008

My day so far

This morning I was standing waiting for a taxi when I realised just how noisy the street actually was. It's odd that I am so used to the boisterous nature of this city now that I don't really notice it anymore, but today I had one of those out of body experiences where you realise just how insane the world surrounding you is. I took a picture on my mobile phone to demonstrate my point - the man pushing the trolley of dried seafood boxes is in fact in the middle of the road, behind me is an open hole in the tarmac where sparks are flying, the tram comes past while a bus overtakes... Anyway, you can imagine the volume of sound at this precise moment...



And just when I thought the streets of Hong Kong couldn't get any crazier, I arrived in Times Square, close to my office, and saw the Christmas decorations for 2008: a selection of creations from local celebrity illustrator Carrie Chau, with overblown little girls blowing trumpets with strange hats under gothic bare white trees. So strange. And yet - perhaps I have been here too long now - I found this really enchanting, and it made me dream much more than a green fir tree with red baubles would have. Have I gone mad?



1 comment:

Nupur said...

is she wearing underpants on her head?