29 October 2008

No love for an invalid

I'm at the office, in the new job, my throat's hurting, my stomach has finally given in to the usual "first days at work" stomach bug, I have a terrible ulcer on the roof of my mouth, and my toes are broken. But strangely enough, I'm happy.

I'm not getting any love from the Hongkongers in the street, quite the opposite: most of them overtake and push me out of the way, tutting impatiently behind me as I hobble down the street. They look at me as if I ought to be apologising for being in their way. I haven't even tried taking public transport yet, I'm too scared someone's going to step on my foot...

At work all is well, although I have three weeks to do what would usually take three months, and am trying to clean up all of the mess left behind by my previous incarnation, who has since confessed that she left a mess on purpose to spite the boss. Thanks.

I have interviewed a few millionaires, courted a few prs, written a ton of features, and nagged everyone a helluva lot, and although the big boss has said to me "I like nags, they get things done", I am pretty sure everyone hates me for bossing them around so much. I am also coming in early and leaving late (tonight I have to wait until 9 in the office to interview some private jet owner or other), I hardly see Krusty at all anymore, but again, I am inexplicably happy. Perhaps it's just the insane pleasure that bossing everyone around gives me, I don't know.

In any case, let's hope the honeymoon period lasts, because if it doesn't, this is the worst job in the world and it'll be pretty easy to sink into a full blown depression.

Or perhaps just looking at my desktop's wallpaper is what is making me so happy. Take a look for yourself: it's a picture I took once I had climbed (yes, literally, climbed) the Great Wall of China, in Mutianyu. It was so steep in parts that I had to use my hands to reach the next step, ladder-style, but when I got to the top, my heart ringing in my ears at about 200bpm, my hair stuck to my forehead with sweat, I found complete tranquility and a stunning vista of autumn leaves swaying in the cool breeze. My breath wasn't short from the climb; it had only been taken away as I looked out over the kilometres and kilometres of a structure that took 270 years and many, many lives to build. It's quite amazing.

1 comment:

Stan Diers said...

Too much fate Mate!
It is a recurrent theme in your blog, isn't it? Some kind of inner religion but have you ever considered this first days at work stomach bug could be more commonly called anxiety?

I remember having my entire four wisdom teeth taken off and walking in the street of HKG just afterwards trying to aim as quick as possible for a taxi ride.. When disabled, the busy streets are similar to having to make your ways through the rain forest at night with no lights and chased by a desperately hungry tiger.
Strangely enough, they are just fine as soon as you recover (why is that?)