03 March 2010

Taxi times, opus x

I have said it many times before - one of my favourite things about the taxi ride to work is the variety of cabs (and drivers) that exist in Hong Kong.

The outer shells might all look identical (96% of all HK taxis are bright red Toyota Comforts) but inside it's always a surprise. You could have the driver with 5 mobile phones, operating a call centre from his office on the road. You could have the super religious driver with shiny charms and gri-gris hanging from every available hook or handle. Or, like I did this morning, you could have the cartoon character enthusiast and his no-holds-barred approach to sticker art...

The biggest surprise, though, was this driver's personality. As I got into this shrine to Mickey and friends, wondering how the guy could see through the sea of plush Pokemons in the front window, I realised that his attitude didn't exactly reflect the sugary world he was surrounded by - he was one of the angriest drivers I have ever had, hurling insults at every other taxi in sight, explaining to me that the way I wanted to go took too long and so zooming down another way (only to add 20 minutes to my journey...) and then grumbling because the traffic was bad...

It goes to show - just because Hello Kitty has thrown up all over your place of work, doesn't mean you have to smile and sing "It's a small world after all" about it...


No comments: